Friday, December 16, 2011

Friday?! Already?

Just as I caught myself thinking that December was moving along nice and slow.. here we are in the middle, and another TGIFF! party is upon us.  I finished the binding on this baby last night as I momentarily set aside a pile of grading to catch up on some netflix TV (re-watching season 2 of Glee, loving every minute!), and figured I might as well finish this one off and get it in the mail before Christmas.
I started this quilt sometime in the spring? summer?  as a simple piecing-- mindless sewing project to zip through the machine when I only had a short bit of time to sew.  The blocks grew, and grew.  It was fun to play with chunky scraps and I really let the size of the scrap determine the shape of the log cabin.. I didn't trim the logs down to any certain size before assembling the blocks. 

Actually, in the beginning I chain pieced a bunch of centers onto random sized strips and then cut them apart, pressing, trimming, and repeating for the next log.  I had no plan for the blocks and no idea how large I wanted to make them.  I though I'd just keep going til they looked big enough, then measure to find  the size most of them ended up being, and go from there.  In the end I trimmed them down to 11" square.  Some blocks have 3 rings of logs on all sides, some have only 2 rings on the white sides.  Whatever.  I was really not worried about anything with this quilt, and let it grow into its own.
I threw them up on the design wall last month and this layout just sort of happened.  No thought, just play.  I finished the last 6 blocks and pieced it right after Thanksgiving.  I was hoping to present it as a housewarming present when we travel to Chicago in January, but oops, I finished it early so it can be a Christmas present instead. 

I hope it keeps its new family warm..

15 comments:

  1. I love the log cabin! It is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you can never go wrong with the log cabin pattern, a favorite of mine. Your's looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great! Love the grab and sew aspect of the blocks, works really well. Have a great time in Chicago! ox

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic! I love everything about it, it just looks so organic and cheery! It's fun looking at all those scraps. I love the lack of worry, it has produced such a happy quilt :) Thank you for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your approach to this, Jess. And the effect is fabulous! I have no doubt the recipients will LOVE it. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's really really fun, Jessica! So bright and colorful and cheerful! It will make a great gift.

    thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like that quilt A LOT! What a lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely colours and I love the wonkiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's probably one of the more fun, sweet, log cabin quilts I've ever seen! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic! Love a quilt that just sort of designs itself! lol Great job! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great project. I love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely blog you have! I am now following you and can't wait to see future projects!

    scraps-a-plenty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt! Makes me want to go to the sewing machine right away! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Free Zoom Quilt Class, October 20.

    Free Live Online Craft Class Learn to quilt with Jessica Wed., Sept. 9 Tues., Oct., 20, Nov. 9 7:00 – 8:00 pm Sign up now.   Take one or...