Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival (and Quilt Retreat Invitation)

I was racking my brain (and sewing room) for something to enter in this fall's Bloggers' Quilt Festival.  My Lime String quilt isn't finished yet and I haven't had time to work on much else.  Then it occurred to me that I never did a real blog post on Travel Quilt #3, the one that is featured in my book.  So, here it is:
I started this quilt in July 2010, stitched the last diamonds by hand in February 2012, and had the entire thing finished in October 2012.  I took a few detail shots of my own, but then it went straight on to my publisher for photography for the book.  (And I wasn't supposed to blog about it til the book was released!) It ended up on the back cover, which I was really pleased about.  This is the third in my Travel Quilt series and the first time I actually wrote on the stars as I pieced them.  The full pattern and instructions, including step-by-step photography, is available in the book
Long arm quilted by the brilliant Shannon Couvillion in Georgia, this is a very personal quilt, a fabric scrap book of where I went and how I spent my  time. 
Of course this isn't the first time many of you are seeing this quilt.  I heavily blogged my progress as I carried my EPP sewing kit back and forth across the globe, completing a few stars at a time.  Here's a quick recap of my favorite in-progress photos:


Have you ever quilted on the beach?  Would you like to?
I'm organizing an English paper piecing retreat that will be held on the Greek island of Paros in June, 2014.  Come enjoy amazing food, perfect weather, relaxing atmosphere and good company as we stitch together in the middle of the Aegean.  Check out my "Greek Island Retreat" tab above, or just click here.  Registration is open through February 1st, but space is limited.  I'd love to have you join me and start a Travel Quilt of your own~
AmysCreativeSide

16 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing the photos. Love how you wrote when/where on the stars, a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely stunning and your quilting is amazing:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. And no I haven't quilt on the beach...it's always too windy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite from your book! I've thought of trying one myself, at some point in the fictional future when I have lots of spare time. As long as I'm daydreaming, maybe I should add in the Greek beach ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt! And I love all the markings of the places you have been. So fun! oxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how colorful it is! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that!!! the red borders are inspiring me to keep going on mine which has ground to a halt. and i'm definitely checking out retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How FUN!!! I really, really love the notes you wrote on the diamonds. What a delight that quilt will be for anyone hanging out under it. And OH MAN!!!!!!!! Do I wish I could come to your Greek isle retreat! You all need to have fun enough for me, too, since there is no way I can do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt! I love that you wrote your places on it. Boy, would I love to come on that retreat. Maybe some year...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How very cool! Love that you made it both a travel project and a souvenir. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great setting for a retreat...quilting by the Aegean! Looks like the perfect spot for slowing down to a more civilized pace. I can almost hear those waves lapping...

    ReplyDelete
  12. So admirable - you have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love, love your quilt! It's amazing! Congrats on such a wonderful job. I'm off to vote for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooo beautiful!!!! You´ve really done a great work :)
    Gun, Sweden

    ReplyDelete

Free Zoom Quilt Class, October 20.

    Free Live Online Craft Class Learn to quilt with Jessica Wed., Sept. 9 Tues., Oct., 20, Nov. 9 7:00 – 8:00 pm Sign up now.   Take one or...