Monday, January 13, 2014

Monday Morning Star Count 2014/2

Did you get a chance to click around and see all the beautiful projects we linked up last week?  It's amazing, I love seeing what you are all working on.

For me, I finished the pink hex diamond pillow top front, and I'm trying to find the time to baste and quilt it.. this is what it looks like from the back:
This weekend I pulled out some UFOs and decided to try to turn this one into a sewing machine cover.  It's almost the right size, just needs one complete ring and the edges finished on the top two.

Unfortunately, the second yellow fabric is in my sewing cabinet at MIL's house in Athens, and the light blue.. I think I gave it away in my destash last summer.  It's alright by me though, I don't mind substitutions at all.
How do you feel about them?  If you find a UFO but can't find the exact same fabrics to finish it, will you fill in or abandon it?  Just curious.

Ok, now let's see who's been stitching this week..
Remember, Instagram and flickr pics are welcome too!!



8 comments:

  1. love that hexie project, did you baste squares on there? glue baste or thread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my! I am afraid if I didn't find all the parts to a UFO, I might put it back in the box and fish out another. I have taken to cutting and LABELING WHICH QUILT my bindings go to and rolling them up on old bathroom tissue rolls. They are all in their own drawer waiting for me to finish their tops. I learned this trick from a friend who pulled out a UFO only to find the exact PERFECT binding was no longer with the quilt. Since, I have tried to use clear zip style bags to keep everything together. Hmmm. And I always thought I was a spontaneous person...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors in your hex-diamond!

    I totally throw in different fabrics on a UFO. It's quilting! We use scraps! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100%! Use scraps and leftovers!! This gives so much character

      Delete
  4. Substituting doesn't scare me at all! It's a great opportunity to use other fabrics from my stash :) Absolutely love your project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I would totally just use something else. Years later people will wonder if you really ran out of the fabric or if it was an artistic decision. Mismatches make projects so much more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sewing machine cover-in-progress! As for fabric substitutions, I say, go for it! One of the most endearing things I've noticed about the vintage quilts I've seen lately is that substitutions and "imperfections" were normal. I found that a freeing realization!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The scrappier the better - keeps you eyes moving & brain interested. I love that pattern and really haven't seen that one before. Is there a name for it?

    ReplyDelete

Free Zoom Quilt Class, October 20.

    Free Live Online Craft Class Learn to quilt with Jessica Wed., Sept. 9 Tues., Oct., 20, Nov. 9 7:00 – 8:00 pm Sign up now.   Take one or...