Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A mini quilt along

Now that, I think I can handle.
Remember when I was complaining that I want to sew other quilts, by machine, but my EPP obsession keeps pulling me back to the couch?  Well I just found Chase's Pack Patch Mini Quilt Along and I think this may be just what I need.

 Each week she is giving us two themes which we'll use to choose our fabrics and make the block.  The block above is my "true colors"-- I went with soft pink and navy, the colors I often choose to wear.  I don't usually quilt with them together though, so the block looks strange to me, yet familiar..
Another stipulation of the QAL is to only use fabric from your scrap bin.  I guess this assumes that quilters have only one scrap bin where they keep all their scraps.  Well.. that's not the case for me.  I've got 4 scrap bins that I can see from where I'm sitting, and there are at least 5 more upstairs.  Somehow I feel this mini quilt along really won't make a dent in my stash.. My point though is that the fabrics I used in block #1 aren't favorites, or even ones I really like.  I just grabbed them because they were the right color and size.  I wonder how often that will happen on this qal.  It is my usual method of fabric selection, but sometimes I wish I could focus a bit more and deliberately use fabrics I love.  These tiny blocks (the patches finish at 1") are a great excuse to use some of my cherished scraps, and when it came to do block #2, favorite colors, the fabric pull was pretty easy.  Turquoise and taupe.  I don't know how else to describe this grey-brown batik.. for me it falls into the range of taupes that I love to see but don't always remember to use.  Yes, I really should make this an exercise in deliberate fabric choices.
If you've got fabric scraps and aren't scared of tiny blocks, why not join in the fun?  The quilt along is happening over here on flickr.  Instructions for making the blocks are on Chase's blog
I haven't been hanging out on flickr lately (the changes to the page layout a while back just put me off), but their app seems to be pretty easy to navigate and there's lots of old friends and acquaintances that I haven't seen in a while, so I'm excited to get involved with this.  And after the 10 weeks, I'll have.. a mini quilt.  That'll be nice.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no, I forgot about this QAL and now you remind me about it, and you now what that means!!! Ok, I am in ;)

    ReplyDelete

Free Zoom Quilt Class, October 20.

    Free Live Online Craft Class Learn to quilt with Jessica Wed., Sept. 9 Tues., Oct., 20, Nov. 9 7:00 – 8:00 pm Sign up now.   Take one or...