Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Have you ever been to Skopelos?

Every so often (ok, more like every week) beautiful new fabrics pop up on Instagram and designers or manufacturers hunt down people who sew to help spread the good news about that fabric's existence.  I was very lucky to get tapped to help promote Katarina Roccella's new Greek Island inspired Skopelos line for Art Gallery Fabrics.  Check this out..
(Image borrowed from Katarina's blog)
Skopelos is a beautiful island in the Aegean Sea. I haven't been there (yet) but Katarina's fabric collection really captures so much of the peace, relaxation and vibrant beauty found on so many of the Greek islands.  I wanted to work with these fabrics and promote this line because Greece is really underrepresented in the quilting world.. I hope you'll get inspired to make something with these fabrics and/or go to Greece yourself.  I can almost feel myself walking in a breeze down a flower-lined path in a sun dress made from any of these.. can't you?

For my stop on the tour, I decided to make a Dresden Table Runner, one of the projects in my NEW BOOK (yes, more on that news later in the week!).

It is made of five 9" Dresden blocks on point.. first I machine pieced the Dresdens...



Then hand appliqued them to the background fabric (ok, I was pressed for time and machine appliqued a few).

And I cut setting triangles from the luscious Paparounes stripe..

And that's as far as I got.. I made binding, cut backing and batting even, but I haven't quilted it yet..

With any luck, I'll get it done before the blog hop is over.. make sure to check back and see.

Now it's time to visit all the other stops on the Skopelos blog hop!  So many beautiful things have been made with these fabrics already.  I hope you get a chance to play with some too..

1. LYNNE GOLDSWORTHY - April 20th
2. ALLEGORY LANHAM – April 21st
3. ERICA TOOLE - April 22nd
4. RACHAEL GANDER - April 23th
5. AMY FRIEND - April 24th
6. MARIJA VUJČIĆ - April 25th
7. DANA BOLYARD - April 26th
8. ERICA JACKMAN - April 27th
9. JESSICA ALEXANDRAKIS - April 28th
10. SVETLANA SOTAK - April 29th
11. KATHLEEN RIGGINS - April 30th
12. APRIL RHODES - May 1st
13. PAUL HALLINGER - May 2nd
14. SHARON MCCONNELL - May 3rd
15. CAROLINE HULSE – May 4th
16. JANE DAVIDSON – May 5th

9 comments:

  1. Oh this is such a beautiful group of fabrics...love the colors...thanks for the tip hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from the region I can soooo feel that breeze and smell the sea and salt in the air....and yes, a flowy dress in any of these gorgeous fabrics too!
    I love, love your table runner and can't wait to see it quilted too!! Looking forward to hear about the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty fabric and block choices. I would be so afraid to try this block. I am sure that mine wouldn't look nearly as good as yours. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty fabric and block choices. I would be so afraid to try this block. I am sure that mine wouldn't look nearly as good as yours. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the table runner! Great design with gorgeous fabrics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your project and the colors in this fabric line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful fabrics! And the name...really interesting and matching!
    Can't wait to get my hands on your new book!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the table runner. Looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so pretty! I am loving the use of the stripy floral as the setting triangles.

    ReplyDelete

Free Zoom Quilt Class, October 20.

    Free Live Online Craft Class Learn to quilt with Jessica Wed., Sept. 9 Tues., Oct., 20, Nov. 9 7:00 – 8:00 pm Sign up now.   Take one or...