Skip to main content

It's time to Get Started Quilting!

I am very happy to announce today that my second book is here:

I just got my advanced copy and it will hit store shelves later this month in the UK and at the end of July in the US and Canada.

Please click the links below to order advanced copies via amazon:
(Yes, the UK edition has a different name: The Complete Quilter, but the content is the same)
The Complete Quilter
Get Started Quilting




















or ask your favorite bookseller, fabric shop or quilt shop (brick and mortar or online) if they can carry it.  If you'd like a signed copy, check out my Events tab for where I'll be in the coming weeks.  If I'm not coming close to your neighborhood, why not ask your local quilt group to contact me to set up an event?  I've got some flexibility in my travel schedule coming up and I'd love to come out and talk to quilters anywhere.  (weekends next fall, Dec/January, March/April 2016 and July 2016 are my most flexible times for travel).  Don't you want to sit and sew with me?

So what's the book about, anyway?
Get Started Quilting is truly a beginner's guide, so if you area already an experienced quilter, you might not need it in your collection, BUT, we all know someone who likes quilts but hasn't taken the plunge.. why not get a copy for THEM?  Or give your local library a call and see if they want to carry it, for the good of the entire community?  

Inside are 20 something quilt blocks with instructions and step-by-step photographs.  They range from traditional machine pieced to handwork and a bit of improv.  My favorite at the moment are the Improv Baskets  (turn orphan blocks into baskets!) and the Free cut Ainu Inspired Spiral (hand applique).  
I can't get this pic to turn around!  Sorry!

The book is set up to encourage you to try things out and then mix and match to make projects.  If you try all the techniques, you can put them together into a sampler quilt:

If you want to see this quilt in person, it will be hanging outside at the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show next month.  I'll be there too, let's take selfies!

Hopefully over the next few weeks I'll take time to show off each of the projects and talk a bit about my process.  
I'm so excited to share this book with everyone~ 
Thanks for checking it out!


Comments

  1. CHINATOWN! Yeah, that's what my phone thought I was typing...what I was really going for was, "CONGRATULATIONS!" :D

    Totally going to pee order (oh my gosh! PRE order) a copy just because I like you. Maybe a Christmas present for my 11yo.

    Now to check your travel dates...

    So awesome, yay toy! (Sigh...yay YOU!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news!! I am a veteran quilter, but I see some blocks that are new to me. I can't wait to make a freehand spiral...and those butterflies...and that log cabin-in-the-corner...and use up some orphan blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jessica!!! Can't wait to order a copy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a seasoned quilter who is very much looking forward to adding it to my library.....Congratulations on such a cool accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Congratulations! Loved your first book and sure it won't be long til this is added to my library :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations,It's a Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH great, congrats! Must look this out : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may not be a newbie, but you know I have to get your new book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey awesome! Way to go! Looking forward to checking it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Travel Quilt Story

**ETA-- Check out my completed Travel Quilt #3 here**

I don't know about you, but I check my blogger stats a couple times a day.  It's nice to see how readers find me, who has linked to me, and where they are.  In the last week though, there's been a gap, a hole.  I usually have at least a couple hits a week from readers in Japan, this week-- none.  Of course with such tragedy, I can't expect them to take time out (and use valuable electricity) to check in on my little ol' blog here, but still, the absence makes me worry about them even more.  I was thinking about how I can go back to  posting more about quilts but still satisfy my need to talk about Japan.. 

Victoria took this great photo of me at her retreat last weekend and I've wanted to write a post about it, and then it clicked, "Oh Yeah~" let's go back to the quilt that started me off on my EPP obsession..
Here we go.  Travel Quilt #1, aka "Ayane's Star" See, I was going to J…

Monday Morning Star Count, November 30, 2015

I have not even sewn one stitch this week.  I did manage to find my cutting table and mat, and it was nice to see them after what seemed like too long, but I didn't cut anything.  I didn't press anything.  I didn't do much other than ponder how I will organize my new space.

If you have stitched though, please tell us!
*****************************

12 Hexies Blog Hop!!

Hexies!  Hexies!  Hexies!

What's not to love?  Even though I fell in love with EPP through 60 degree diamonds, once I started to hex seriously, I found that they're so soothing.  When basted to templates, they are perfectly contained little morsels of my favorite fabrics, portable, pleasing, playful..

Today is my day on the 12 Hexies Blog Hop and I've got a little tutorial for how to make a pin cushion with just 8 hexagons.  Though this is my tutorial, I can't take credit for coming up with the shape/pattern of the pin cushion.  I actually saw it on flickr ages ago, and in the comments of that pic, the poster referenced another blog post that she was inspired by.  Really folks, it's 8 hexies joined together.. there are only so many ways to do it.  But they go together so nicely and you can turn them into a really substantial pin cushion, so let's have a go at it--
First cut and baste your hexies.  I'm using 3 5/8" squares on 1 1/2" paper hexagon …