Showing posts from July, 2011

A simple quilt with less than simple process.

You're probably wondering why it took me 4 days (actually, we're at a week now..) to put together a small baby quilt done in simple squares, so I thought this is a good opportunity to talk about my process..Like I mentioned in my last post, this was a quilt idea that I had in my head for a long time.  So long, that I had been pulling fabrics and cutting squares sporatically over the last year.  I even sat down and cut borders and pieced some strips of random squares in a few mindless sewing sessions.  But now, when I decided to actually throw it up on the wall and make the quilt, I wasn't starting from scratch, but instead, with a pile of half-assembled pieces and a lot of holes in my quilt design. 
I started by sorting through my pre-assembled strips (and yes, at the time of assembly, i was heavily influenced by that Marston/Moran book..) to find the ones that read clearly "boy" because this quilt is for a friend's baby, and I haven't met her husband or …

Simple squares

I've been working on a pattern (in my sketchbook) with 3.5" squares for nearly a year now.. This week I decided to take George and throw a bunch of them up on the design wall..
 Working on it for 4 days now, and it's starting to turn into what I had imagined.  Cheerful, lots of hidden surprises.  The squares aren't pieced yet, and ever time I leave the sewing room I close my eyes and hope that the wind (or ceiling fan) won't blow them all off the wall. 
I've been pulling fabric from the depths of my stash for this one, all those novelty fabrics that I never use, and as I look around the room, I realized that I have A LOT of fabric.  Not too much, but I really better start making more quilts, like, right now.  How did this happen?  I haven't been intentionally buying for stash in a lonnng time.  Does the fabric multiply while I sleep?  I should start sleeping in the sewing room to stop that from happening..

Tale of a two-sided apron

Before I had George, I spent a lot of time reading blogs and clicking through flickr, oohing and ahhing over all the cute things people made for their kids.  When I found out I was having a boy, I sighed in crafty disappointment, would I ever get to make those tiered skirts and pillowcase sundresses?
Lately George has taken an interest in cooking with me, and one night it occurred to me, he needs an apron..

We went up to the sewing room together to choose fabric.  He picked the dino print for the front, I chose the shamrocks for the back.  I measured across his chest and the lenght I wanted it to be, then handed him the tape measure so I could go about writing up a pattern.  I drafted one half of the apron pattern on freezer paper, positioned it on the dino fabric to get the best dinos centered, then folded it in half and cut it out.  I used the dino fabric as a guide to cut out the shamrocks. 
At that point, I told George we should go back downstairs and I'd finish it after he wen…

A good start to July

4th of July weekend was awesome~  A little beach, a little baking (2 BBQs with friends), and enough sewing to make me feel normal again.

 I made a couple leaves for Glen for the Scrap Bee over at 15 minutes play.. challenging, but I think I needed a challenge after mindlessly stitching all those diamond stars.. see more over on that blog.
I also whipped up something really adorable for George, but he's treating me like the papparazzi and won't pose for a good photo.  Maybe he'll be more cooperative after naptime..