Skip to main content

Hit the ground running

Stash busting is the goal of the year, right?  Well, I started a new board on pinterest and it's filling up pretty quick.  If you have suggestions I'd love to hear them (send links and I'll pin them, k?)
I actually started this one last week, right after my awesome stitch n bitch on the 29th.  Bernadette wanted to start something new and I pointed her in the direction of one of my favs-- Material Obsession's "Fractured" quilt.  She dove right in and started piecing, and the rest of us joked that it would be our little group's first challenge quilt.  Silly me, I took up the challenge...
I have always wanted to make this quilt, and even started with a test block a few years ago (which I can't find, btw).  The pattern was printed in Down Under Quilts, issue #136 from 2009.  If you don't subscribe, it is also available for purchase here
Nifty made one a while back and I love how hers came out, especially the back.  I hope mine ends up that cool.  I absolutely love that it will take 112 fabrics if I do each block with two separate prints.  Yes, I definitely have that much stash, and yes, it will be a pleasure to bust it.  :)

I spend most of the week pulling fabrics, pairing them, and cutting blocks.  I'll slash some and make piles at the sewing machine to get to when I've got a few minutes to spare.  I think this will be a good machine project for once school starts again and I won't have a lot of planning time in the sewing room.  Right now I've been pulling  a lot of purples..
I think my initial turn off when I did the test block a few years back was having to trim up each patch before completing the 9-patch, but now I'm not so scared of that.  The motivation to use up fabric is really compelling, I guess I'm willing to do anything..
Anyone else start in on your 2012 quilt goals yet?

Comments

  1. what a neat idea for a quilt...i will have to try it.
    I enjoy reading your blog...
    hugs from South Louisiana
    beebee

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great pattern!! I will have to try it someday... I am still in the middle of two quilts but bought fabric this week to start a new one! Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is that! I haven't seen that pattern before. Can't wait to see how this progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you'll have fun making this quilt! When I made it, I looked and looked for the pattern, but couldn't find it. So I just winged it, but it wasn't easy. THEN I found out that Material Obsession actually sells the pattern on their site. Duh. www.materialobsession.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still trying to finish my bulls' eye, but every time I open it, Bhu jumps on it to inspect mai work and then decides to take a snooze. URG. Love the "Fractured" pattern and now I want to make one, too. Looks like it would make a great thread-saver project! xxoo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I have hit a wall with my color choices. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Travel Quilt Story

**ETA-- Check out my completed Travel Quilt #3 here**

I don't know about you, but I check my blogger stats a couple times a day.  It's nice to see how readers find me, who has linked to me, and where they are.  In the last week though, there's been a gap, a hole.  I usually have at least a couple hits a week from readers in Japan, this week-- none.  Of course with such tragedy, I can't expect them to take time out (and use valuable electricity) to check in on my little ol' blog here, but still, the absence makes me worry about them even more.  I was thinking about how I can go back to  posting more about quilts but still satisfy my need to talk about Japan.. 

Victoria took this great photo of me at her retreat last weekend and I've wanted to write a post about it, and then it clicked, "Oh Yeah~" let's go back to the quilt that started me off on my EPP obsession..
Here we go.  Travel Quilt #1, aka "Ayane's Star" See, I was going to J…

Monday Morning Star Count, November 30, 2015

I have not even sewn one stitch this week.  I did manage to find my cutting table and mat, and it was nice to see them after what seemed like too long, but I didn't cut anything.  I didn't press anything.  I didn't do much other than ponder how I will organize my new space.

If you have stitched though, please tell us!
*****************************

Home Ec Club, November meeting

I found this great felt leaf wreath craft that I had wanted to make in the first meeting of the new group of Home Ec Club members.  I was completely prepared to have a well paced session for 9 students.. but 13 signed up.  My supervisor said, "Oh, you're getting popular"  but I think the truth is that the word got out that they get to eat in Ms. Alex's club, hehe.

So, quick change of plans.  We made cranberry sauce AND the leaf wreaths.  With short bread cookies and graham crackers.. sounds perfectly November to me.

xoxo